St Aldhelm established the seat of the Bp. of W. Wessex here in 705 and founded a church and school. In 978 Bp. Wulfsige introduced the Rule of St Benedict. The see was united with Ramsbury in 1058 and in 1075 moved to Old Sarum. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536 the abbey became the parish church. A bishopric of Sherborne, suffragan to Salisbury, was founded in 1928.