One of the two main sects (gaing) or monastic divisions (nikāya) in the Burmese Saṃgha founded during the reign of King Mindon (1852–77). In 1980, 7.1 per cent of all monks in Burma belonged to the Shwegyin. The sect takes its name from the village of its founder, U Jagara, and emphasizes stricter adherence to the monastic regulations than its much larger counterpart, the Thudhamma. The distinction between the two groups parallels that between the Mahanikai (Pāli, Mahānikāya) and the Thammayut (Pāli, Dhammayuttika) in Thailand.Laos, and Cambodia. Stricter orders such as the Shwegyin carry their begging-bowls in their hands rather than in a sling, receive all kinds of food in the same container, eat only once per day, and observe the regulations about handling money and visiting entertainments more strictly. They also tend to spend more time on study and meditation and less on social affairs and community welfare programmes.