Finnish architect, in partnership with his wife, Kaija (1920– ), since 1949. Their work has been seen as offering paradigms of Scandinavian Modernism, characterized by simplicity and formality. Their Chapel at the Technical College, Otaniemi (1957), was much admired when completed, with its minimalist altar and cross set against a large window with a background of pine-trees. Other works include the Otsonpesä Linked Houses, Tapiola (1959), Brucknerhaus Concert Hall, Linz, Austria (1974), and the Granite House, KOP Kamppi Offices, Helsinki (1985).
His father, Johan Sigfrid Sirén (1889–1961), was a distinguished architect. Among his buildings the extension to Engel's University of 1810 (completed 1931) and the Parliament Building (also completed 1931), both in Helsinki, confirmed him as a leader of Nordic Neo-Classicism between 1918 and 1939. His Bank of Finland, Vaasa (1943–52), is a noble work of stripped Classicism.
E. Bruun & Popovits (eds.) (1978);Doumato (1980a);MfBuS, xxii/1 (1938), 33–40;Paavilainen (1982);J. Sirén (1989);Walden (ed.) (1998)