(1843–1903). Austro-Hungarian architect and town-planner, a pupil of Ferstel, and an admirer of William Morris and Gottfried Semper. His importance lies in one work, his well-illustrated Der Städtebau nach seinen künstlerischen Grundsätzen (Town-Planning according to Artistic Principles—1889), which emphasized the need to design the urban fabric with aesthetics and composition in mind, and ran into several editions, with translations in French (1902), Russian (1925), Spanish (1926), English (1945 and 1965), and Italian (1953). It was one of the first major books to analyse what became known as townscape. His work was rediscovered in the 1960s when the reaction against the destruction of towns as a result of the dogmas of Le Corbusier, CIAM, and International Modernism gained momentum. He designed the Renaissance Revival Mechitaristenkirche, Vienna (1873–4), and a few other buildings in other parts of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.