The company dates back to the opening of the Slovak National Theatre in Bratislava in 1920, and its debut performance of Coppélia, choreographed by Czech choreographer Václav Kalina. Under the direction of Stanislav Remar (1948–55) many Soviet dance-dramas were staged in this theatre as well as some national Slovak ballets. Karol Tóth was director from 1961 and, after a period of decline in the 1970s, the company regained its vigour and a newly varied repertory of 19th- and 20th-century ballets under Boris Slovak and Toth (returning as director in 1980). Emil Bartko took over in 1990 and encouraged work by younger choreographers, including Libor Vaculík and Ondrej Soth. Mário Radačovský became director in 2005, bringing several of his own works into the repertory, including WARHOL (2006). In 2007 the company acquired a second theatre in the newly built New National Theatre.
http://www.snd.sk Website for the Slovak National Theatre Ballet