English architect. He was Surveyor to The Mercers' Company (from 1814), for which he designed many buildings and layouts, including the Estate in Stepney, London, with York Square and surrounding areas (c. 1820–35), and the Company's lands in Co. Londonderry, where he was assisted by his partner (from 1836 to 1842), William Barnes (1807–68). With Barnes he designed the Romanesque Revival Parish Church, Kilrea (1841–2), and other buildings on the Co. Londonderry Estate. His most important works were the Gothic Whittington Almshouses, Highgate, London (1822—demolished 1966), the handsome Greek Revival St Alban's Court House and Town Hall, Herts. (1829–33), the Greek Doric Corn Exchange, Mark Lane, London (1827–8—demolished 1941), and the Grammar School, Horsham, Sussex (1840–1). He also designed the 1836 London Bridge Railway Terminus, rebuilt many times since then. He laid out the Morden College Estate, Greenwich, where he designed houses (e.g. Brand and Pelton Streets) in a variety of styles.
Colvin (1995);J. Curl (1986);W. Papworth (1887)