The present Anglican diocese of Sodor and Man consists of the Isle of Man. Tradition credits St Patrick with the establishment of episcopal authority there in the 5th cent. After the arrival of Norwegian rulers in the 8th cent., Man was associated by them with the islands west of the Scottish mainland as part of the Southern Isles (‘Sodor’). A single see was established in 1134; after 1154 it was part of the province of Nidaros (Trondheim) in Norway. In the mid-14th cent. the English Crown assumed control of the Isle of Man; parallel lines of bishops emerged there and in the Scottish section of the diocese. Since 1542 the diocese of Sodor has been in the province of York, but has its own Convocation. The termination ‘and Man’ was apparently added in error by a 17th-cent. legal draughtsman.