Italian architect. He studied with Montano, and edited the latter's drawings for publication, including Scielta di varij tempietti antichi (Selection of Various Small Antique Temples—1624). In the mid-1620s he began to practise architecture, designing the façades of the Roman Churches of Santa Maria della Vittoria, near the Baths of Diocletian (1625–7), San Crisógono, Trastévere (1626), San Carlo ai Catinari (1635–8), and San Gregorio Magno, Monte Celio (1629–33), the last a more sophisticated exercise than the previous two, with a two-storey arrangement featuring three arches below and pedimented windows above. He designed the nave of the Duomo, Monte Compatri (1630), the Library of the Palazzo Barberini (1635–8), and the façade of Santa Caterina da Siena (1638–40), the last two in Rome.
Hibbard (1962, 1971);W. Papworth (1887);Ringbeck (1989);Jane Turner (1996)
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design — Architecture.