A pottery and porcelain factory founded in 1776 by Josiah Spode in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. In 1796–7 it developed bone china, which became the standard English body during the 19th century. Stone china and blue and white transfer-printed wares were also produced during the 19th century. In 1833 the factory was acquired by W. T. Copeland and T. Garratt. It is still in production.
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.