The church at St Asaph in Wales was in origin a monastic settlement, traditionally held to have been founded by St Kentigern in the late 6th cent. According to a 12th-cent. Life, he was succeeded by St Asaph, from whom the church later took its name. It became a territorial diocese in the 12th cent. The present cathedral is largely the work of Bp. Redman (c.1480); the choir was rebuilt c.1770; and the whole restored by G. G. Scott (1869–75).