Company based at the State Opera and Ballet Theatre in Tbilisi. After the theatre was built in 1852, there were ballet performances in opera as well as a programme of visiting dance companies and stars, including Pavlova and Kshessinska. In 1935 a resident dance company was set up by the Kirov dancer V. Chabukiani and others, with Chabukiani becoming sole artistic director in 1941. He choreographed several major works for the company including Othello (1957) and Hamlet (1971). He remained director until 1973 when he was succeeded by George Aleksidze who created more than 40 works for the company during his 30-year directorship. In 2004 Nina Ananiashvili was invited by the Georgian government to take over the company. As well as giving a significant number of performances as the company's leading ballerina she substantially enriched the repertory, with stagings of the 19th-century classics by Alexei Fadeyechev, revivals of Balanchine and Ashton, and new commissions from Ratmansky, Possokhov, S. Welch, and others. The company tours internationally.