(flbefore 1464; d Buda, before 1499). Architect active in Hungary and Slovakia. He is referred to as Werkmeister (Master of the Works) in a letter of recommendation, dated 14 May 1464, sent by the City Council of Košice (Slovakia) to the town of Bardejov. The letter mentions among other buildings his work on Košice parish church. The Liber hospitalis of Bardejov (Bardejov, City Archvs) in 1464 records that he was paid 324 gold florins for building the chancel vault of St Giles’ parish church and he also received 35 florins for its tabernacle in 1465. The former is confirmed by a dated console representing the bust of a stone mason. The upper part of the south tower and other work in Košice Cathedral can also be attributed to Stefan. His style suggests that he was trained in the Vienna masons’ lodge, most probably in the time of Hans Puchsbaum.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.