(1831–1908). Scots architect. He worked in the offices of Bryce and ‘Great’ Scott, and was later (1860–9) a partner of Campbell Douglas (1828–1910), and (1871–6) E. R. Robson. He settled in London in 1869 where he worked with Robson on several schools for the London School Board. His Red House, 140 Bayswater Road, London (1871—demol-ished), was one of the earliest examples of the Queen Anne style, and was a catalyst in the move away from stucco to brick for London houses. Among other works were houses at 42–8, Pont Street, Knightsbridge (1876–8), Lowther Gardens, South Kensington (1878), 14 Melbury Road (1876–8—demolished), all in London, and Ken Hill, Snettisham, Norfolk (1879–80). He also designed the first ‘Queen Anne’ houses in Oxford at 27 and 29 Banbury Road, a fine pair of 1880–1 featuring red brick, richer red-brick dressings, balconies, and white-painted window-frames. He wrote House Architecture (begun 1869–70, and published 1880).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.