Overview

St Peter's, Rome


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

The present 16th-cent. building replaced an older basilican structure, erected by Constantine (d. 337) on the supposed site of St Peter's crucifixion. Nicholas V (1447–55) planned to replace it by a new church in the form of a Latin cross. Work, begun under Julius II in 1506, was continued by a succession of architects, who all made changes in the design. The building was finished in 1614 and consecrated in 1626.

The traditional burial-place of St Peter is the confessio under the high altar. Excavations carried out since 1940 have revealed the existence of a Christian shrine dating from the 3rd cent., if not earlier.

Subjects: Early Modern History (1500 to 1700).


Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »


Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.