British archaeologist whose main interests lay in the art and architecture of the Roman world. Born and brought up in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, he gained an open scholarship to Brasenose College, Oxford, in 1948, reading Greats and taking a diploma in Classical Archaeology. He studied at the British School in Rome from 1952 and was awarded his D.Phil. in 1954. After a brief spell with the Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments of the Ministry of Works he joined the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities in the British Museum in 1956. Here he published many papers and articles. In 1968 he was appointed to the Chair of the Archaeology of the Roman Provinces in the London Institute of Archaeology, a post he held until his death. He was president of the British Archaeological Association in 1972–3 and was a key figure in the founding of the Society for Libyan Studies and the Archaeology Abroad Service.
Antiquaries Journal, 54 (1974), 410–11