(1412–68). Florentine painter and illuminator associated with Fra Angelico at the convent of S. Marco. He may have trained under Fra Angelico as a panel painter and his signed Annunciation from an altarpiece in S. Salvatore al Monte (London, NG) clearly demonstrates his dependence upon the style and compositions of the older master. It is as a manuscript illuminator that he had the greater success, introducing several new designs and subjects to familiar liturgical book types such as the gradual, the antiphonal, or the book of hours. His most important works are found in the series of illuminated choir books for S. Marco (1446–60; Florence, Mus. S. Marco) in which he combines a lively interest in naturalistic detail with an awareness of the larger designs and architectural settings of contemporary monumental painting. These books exerted a strong influence on Florentine illuminators throughout the later 15th century.
From The Oxford Companion to Western Art in Oxford Reference.