(fl Cologne, c.1485–c.1515). German painter. He is named after the location of two panels depicting SS Agatha and Cornelius, Stephen and Helena (c. 1500; Cologne, St Severin), notable for their sculptural figure conception and warm colour. His work was distinguished by Aldenhoven in 1902 from the qualitatively superior paintings of the master of the Legend of st ursula (ii). Rode (1969) identified the Master of St Severin with the Cologne civic painter Master Clais (fl1507), who probably designed some stained glass that clearly bears connections with his work in the northern nave of Cologne Cathedral (1508, 1509). The Master of St Severin evidently led a large workshop, a factor that would support this identification: Clais was in office as city painter from 1508.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.