Published in London and devoted to the fine and applied arts, Studio magazine was founded in 1893 by Charles Holme, an artistically well‐connected businessman who lived in William Morris's Red House. With an international readership it did much to promote British design abroad, particularly in the late 19th and early 20th centuries when many illustrated articles on the graphic artist Aubrey Beardsley, architect‐designers Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Charles Annesley Voysey, and others appeared. Similarly, it did much to introduce its British readers to Art Nouveau and a wide range of other European developments surveyed in articles and notices. Its first editor was C. Lewis Hind, although he was soon replaced by the influential and effective Gleeson White. So successful was the magazine in its early years that an American version, entitled International Studio, was launched in 1897, a series of Special Issues produced from 1898 until 1939, and, from 1907 until the 1980s (with some adjustments of title), The Studio Yearbooks of Decorative Art provided useful surveys of international design and interiors. The First World War seriously affected the magazine's readership and, under the editorship of Geoffrey Holme (son of the founder), a generally conservative line was pursued in the interwar years. In the 1960s the magazine was retitled Studio International and devoted itself to modern art.