Late medieval castle at Švihov, western Bohemia, Czech Republic, seat of the lords of Rýžemberk, built 1480–1510. The original late 12th-century stronghold stood on the headland above the River Úhlava near the present-day cemetery church of St Jiljí. At the beginning of the 14th century a new moated fort was built at river level on the main road, at the same time as the so-called upper town of Švihov with its regular oblong square and parish church of St Wenceslas. At its southern edge the so-called lower town developed with the hospital church of St John the Evangelist. After 1480 Půta Švihov of Rýžemberk (reg 1479–1504) built a new moated castle on the site of the fort, which had been damaged during the Hussite wars. It was founded on an artificial island protected to the east by the Úhlava and to the north and west by a mill-race, which also separated it from the upper and lower towns.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.