Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Town of south Wales located at the mouth of the river Tawe (Abertawe). The name, Scandinavian in origin, reflects post‐Roman Viking activity, but there is no evidence of settlement until the site was developed as a castle borough by Henry de Beaumont, the first Norman lord of Gower. After 1717 it became the centre of the early Welsh metallurgical industry, mainly copper, lead, and silver. Swansea acquired city status in 1969 and is now an industrial and administrative centre.

Subjects: Literature.

Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.