(1909 –67), was educated at Winchester and Oxford. In 1934 he joined the Communist Party and in 1937 became editor of Left Review. During the Second World War he served in North Africa and Italy and was awarded the MM. After the war he lived by lecturing and editing. He left the Communist Party in 1952.
From The Oxford Companion to Twentieth-Century Poetry in English in Oxford Reference.