Town in southern Bohemia, of significance in the history of Hussitism. In the mid-14th century a castle (known since the 16th century as Kotnov) was built on the steep headland above the River Lužnice by the Ústí branch of the lords of Hradec. In 1420 followers of Jan Hus (c. 1372–1415) brought in people from nearby Sezimovo Ústí, which they had first destroyed by fire. They established a settlement on the flat area below the castle with provisional dwellings around an open space on which stood a wooden church and a common treasury in the form of a large tub. In the same year this settlement, renamed Hradiště of Mt Tábor, was fortified under the leadership of Jan žižka (d 1424) against the army of Oldřich of Rožmberk, with earthwork and timber ramparts. The community was first called a town in 1424, but it received its charter (together with extensive territories) from Emperor Sigismund only in 1436 after the defeat of the Táborites at the Battle of Lipany two years before. From then on stone construction began in a Late Gothic style, continuing in the 16th century. In 1452 Tábor surrendered to John of Poděbrady after a siege; the Jordán lake was made in 1492; and there were three great fires in the 16th century. During the Thirty Years War the town was abandoned several times after 1620, when Bohemia was taken over by the Habsburgs, and in 1648 it was captured by the Swedes.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.