English architect. He worked with Basil Champneys and then Bodley & Garner. Although he opened an office in London in 1893 he did not leave Bodley until 1901, specializing in ecclesiastical work. His churches include the Ascension, Malvern Link, Worcs. (1903), St Mary's, Harrogate, Yorks. (1904), St Erkenwald, Southend-on-Sea, Essex (1905–10), and a large extension to St Michael's, Little Coates, Grimsby, Lincs. (1913). Much of his work was in brick, handled with great integrity, and his style was generally Arts-and-Crafts Gothic. He designed some exquisite church furnishings, including the beautiful additions to Sir Arthur Blomfield's 1883 reredos in St Wulfram's, Grantham, Lincs. (1901), but in later life he became more of a Classicist, as with the screen at Christchurch Priory, Haants. (1920s), and the Memorial Carillon Tower, Loughborough, Leics. (1921).
A. S. Gray (1985)