Polish city c. 80 km east of Kraków in Małopolska (Lesser Poland), on the medieval route from Silesia and Kraków to Russia and Hungary. It was founded in 1330 by the governor of Kraków, Spicymir, progenitor of the Tarnowski family, whose domain it was until 1567; it was later the domain of the Ostrogski princes and, from 1742, of the Sanguszko family. Its greatest expansion occurred in the 16th century, particularly under the hetman Jan Tarnowski. The city was built on a grid plan with a rectangular market-place and ringed by walls dating to the 14th century, reinforced in 1513–45 by a second ring, fragments of which have been preserved, including a 16th-century tower and round bastion.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.