German architect. He joined Franz Hoffmann (d.1950) and his brother, Bruno, in partnership in 1914, and remained with Hoffmann until the last's death. He designed various buildings before 1914, including a Pavilion for the International Building Trades Exhibition, Leipzig (1913), and in 1918 became a founder of various left-wing groups, including Arbeitsrat für Kunst, Novembergruppe, and later Der Ring. He contributed to Bruno Taut's Gläserne Kette group and built the extraordinary Wissinger family-vault, Stahnsdorf, Berlin (1920), one of the few Glass-Chain designs ever realized. He built a formidable reputation as an architect with the offices for the Allgemeiner Deutscher Gewerkschaftsbund (Federation of German Labour Unions—1923) and other works for trade-unions and similar organizations, one of which (the Verband der Deutschen Buchdrucker—Headquarters of the German Printers' Union—1922–5) he designed with Mart Stam, where the con-crete frame was expressed. Other works in the International Modernist style by him included two houses at the Weissenhofsiedlung, Stuttgart (1927), the German Trade Union Building, Frankfurt-am-Main (1931), and the Co-operative Department Store, Berlin (1932). After the 1939–45 war he was active as an architect and teacher, designing the Reuter Housing, Bonn (1949–52), the August-Thiessen Siedlung, Duisburg (1955–64), and an extension to his brother's Hufeisensiedlung (Horse Shoe Estate), Berlin-Neukölln (1954). He was an important figure in the evolution of the Neue Sachlichkeit.
Akademie der Künste (1964);Kühne et al. (1984);Posener (1964);Rehm (2002);Jane Turner (1996);M. Taut (1927, 1984);Wasmuths Monatshefte für Baukunst, xvi (1932), 257–69