US ballet company. It was founded in 1957 as an educational organization called the Dallas Civic Ballet, but in 1969 expanded its professional scope with the appointment of G. Skibine and Marjorie Tallchief as director and associate director respectively. The company's associated school was opened in 1971 and the repertoire grew to include many Skibine ballets as well as works by Balanchine and Taras. After Skibine's death, F. Flindt was appointed artistic director (1981–9). The company was then dissolved and in 1993 the Fort Worth Ballet was renamed Fort Worth-Dallas Ballet, incorporating works by S. Welch and Kevin O'Day into its repertory. In 2003 it was constituted again, as Texas Ballet Theatre, under the direction of Ben Stevenson who brought several of his own productions into the repertory.