Vienna th. built by Schikaneder and opened 1801. Held 1,230 people. F.ps. of Fidelio (1805), Die Fledermaus (1874), and Die lustige Witwe (1905) given there, also Viennese premières of several Rossini operas. Home of Vienna State Opera 1945–54 while Staatsoper was being rebuilt. Bought by city of Vienna 1961, renovated, and reopened 1962. Now used mainly for staging of musicals.