Believed to be the largest schooner ever built, was a ship of 5,000 gross tonnage with a waterline length of 118 metres (385 ft). Designed by the American yacht designer B. B. Crowninshield, she had seven masts, each nearly 60 metres (195 ft) high, and all her halyards, topping lifts, sheets, etc. were led to two large steam winches, one on the forecastle and the other on the after deckhouse. Built in Quincy, Mass., in the last decade of the 19th century, she had, because of her use of auxiliary power, a crew of only sixteen hands. She was lost in heavy weather off the Scilly Isles in 1907 with the loss of all but one of her crew.
Subjects: Maritime History.