thunder stick, bull roarer, whizzer

'thunder stick, bull roarer, whizzer' can also refer to...


More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Music


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(Ger. Schwirrholz, ‘whirlingwood’; Fr. planchette ronflante, ‘roaring board’). Instr. in use among Amer. Indians, Australian aborigines, natives of Central Africa, etc. A thin, flat piece of wood, swung to produce a whirring noise, rising or falling in pitch with changing speed of motion.

Subjects: Music.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.