Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

1 Also spelt tyer, the gasket used aboard yachts to secure a sail to the main boom.

2 The name given to a row of mooring buoys in a port for barges or lighters, or a wharf or quay where barges can lie alongside three or four deep, with the inside barge secured to the wharf. See also trot.

3 A regular row or layer of anything, such as a tier of casks in the hold of a ship. See also cable-tier; coil; ground tier.

Subjects: Maritime History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.