(b Walworth, London, 5 Nov 1843; d Putney, 10 Sept 1913). English wood-carver and potter. He joined the Doulton Ceramic Factory in Lambeth in 1867, and remained there for the rest of his life. His work in wood included collaborations with the architect George Edmund Street (1824-81) in the crucifixion panel for the reredos at York Minster (1876) and 28 panels for the Guards’ Chapel in the Wellington barracks in London (1878, now mostly destroyed). His other commissions in wood included panels in the pulpit and reredos of the English church in Copenhagen.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.