Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A device for moving continuous stationery through a printer and maintaining good registration relative to the page boundaries. The technique by which this is achieved is known as tractor feed. The tractors are used in pairs and consist of loops of light chain or bands on which are mounted pegs (also known as pintles or sprockets) that engage with holes that have been punched along both edges of the stationery. In high-speed printers there may be pairs of tractors above and below the print line but in lower-speed devices there is usually only one pair and friction is relied upon to keep the paper tensioned. In printers for transaction documents the tractors are arranged immediately below the print line so that the document may be torn off close to the last line of print.

Subjects: Computing.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.