Thomas Tully was born in Carlisle on 22 July 1620 and died in Grittledon, Wiltshire on 14 January 1676. He was educated at the parish Free School in Carlisle, then at Barton Kirk in Westmoreland. He matriculated from Queen's College Oxford in 1634, gaining his BA in 1639 and his MA in 1642. He was elected to a Fellowship in his College in 1643, and was admitted Fellow in 1644. When the Parliamentary Army entered Oxford, Tully retired for a while, becoming a schoolmaster at Tetbury near Oxford. He later returned to Oxford, where he was admitted BD in 1657 and DD in 1660. He was also appointed, in 1658, Principal of St Edmund Hall and rector of Grittledon in Wiltshire. On the Restoration, he was appointed one of the royal chaplains in ordinary; then in 1675 he became Dean of Ripon; but his strict Calvinism, according to Wood, was a bar to further advancement in the Restoration Church.
From The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Philosophy in Oxford Reference.