English Arts-and-Crafts architect. Articled to ‘Great’ Scott, he later assisted J. O. Scott and ‘Middle’ Scott before setting up (1885) in practice with Eustace James Anthony Balfour (1854–1911), brother of Arthur James Balfour (1848–1930—Prime Minister 1902–5). E. J. A. Balfour was Surveyor to the Grosvenor Estate in London from 1890, and it was in that capacity that Balfour & Turner designed Balfour Place, Balfour Mews, and buildings in Mount and Aldford Streets, Mayfair, as well as many other works of distinction for the Estate. They also refaced Wilton Crescent, Belgravia. Turner designed Westbrook, Godalming, Surrey (1902); the impressive Lethaby-influenced Phillips memorial cloister, Church of Sts Peter and Paul, Godalming (1913—in memory of the wireless operator who went down with the Titanic in 1912); and Wycliffe Buildings (1894), Mead Cottage (1895), and The Court (1902), Guildford, Surrey, among other works of quality.
A. S. Gray (1985);Pevsner (ed.): Buildings of England, Surrey (1971)