Created in 1904–5 as a representative body for Ulster unionism. Comprising originally 200 members (100 representing the local unionist associations, 50 representing the Orange order, and 50 co‐opted members), the council was subsequently expanded and restructured: it was governed by a standing committee of 30. A new constitution was accepted in 1946. Although the representative significance of the UUC was overshadowed by the Unionist parliamentary party in the Northern Ireland House of Commons, since 1972 its strategic importance has been restored.
Subjects: European History.