The (Anglican) Universities' Mission to Central Africa. It was founded in 1857. After an expedition to Malawi, the Mission was moved in 1864 to the island of Zanzibar, then the centre of the slave trade. When this was abolished in 1873, work was re-established on the mainland; it extended through Tanzania, Malawi, and Zambia. In 1965 the UMCA joined with the SPG to form the USPG.