Overview

Vallumbrosans


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A monastic congregation, formerly a separate order, so named from the mother house at Vallombrosa, c.20 miles from Florence. The order was founded c.1036 by St John Gualbert. The mother house was burnt by the soldiers of Charles V in 1527, plundered by Napoleon's troops in 1808, suppressed by the Italian government in 1866, but restored in 1949. The Vallumbrosans joined the Benedictine Confederation in 1966.

Subjects: Christianity.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.