Quick Reference

The body of choristers in a cathedral. The 36 vicars‐choral at York were self‐governing from 1252 and incorporated as a college in 1421. At Wells the street of identical houses, which provided domestic accommodation, a common hall, and a library, all of which were built upon the founding of the College of the Vicars‐Choral in 1348, survives intact on the north side of the cathedral.

Subjects: History — Music.

Reference entries