A follow-on to the Liberty ships produced during the Second World War (1939–45). They were intended for post-war use to fill the immediate gap in overall tonnage left by the immense number of merchant ships sunk. They were built to a less spartan standard than the Liberty ships; the hull was lengthened and strengthened although remaining all-welded; a forecastle was added; and steam turbines (see steam propulsion) replaced the triple expansion engines of the Liberty ships. The standard gross tonnage was 7,607 and they had a top speed of 16 knots.
Subjects: Maritime History.