In design terms the Vienna Secession was the most significant of a number of Secession groups established in the 1890s in Germany and Austria that were set up in opposition to the traditional outlook of the official academies, including those of Munich launched in 1892 and Berlin in 1899. Founded by a progressive group of younger Austrian artists, the Vienna Secession was formed in 1897 in opposition to the exclusion of foreign artists from exhibitions of the Viennese Academy. Led by the artist Gustav Klimt, its first President, members of the group included the designer and architect Josef Hoffmann, Kolomon Moser and Josef Maria Olbrich. Olbrich designed the decorative Secession Building in Vienna (1898), with Moser contributing stained glass and other decorative work in the interior. Hoffmann designed the Ver Sacrum room at the first Vienna Secession exhibition in 1898, Ver Sacrum being the title of the periodical closely associated with the group. See also Sezessionstil.
Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.