Venezuelan architect, born in England. He was Architect to the Venezuelan Ministry of Public Works (1929–39), and was a tireless promoter of International Modernism in his country. He designed the enormous housing-estates known as Dos de Diciembre (1943–5—with Joś Manuel Mijares, José Hoffman, and Carlos Branco) and the El Paraiso (1951–4—with Mijares and Carlos Celis Ceparo), both in Caracas. His bold, even brutal expression of structure gave the buildings a forbidding character. He designed several works for University City, Caracas, including the Olympic Stadium with its shell-concrete cantilevered elements (1950–2), the Auditorium (Aula Magna—1952), and the Covered Square (Plaza Cubierta—also 1952). He founded the School of Architecture in the University of Venezuela in 1944 and taught there for the rest of his life, designing new buildings for the school (1950–7), and influencing succeeding generations of Latin-American architects to continue on the path that has arguably not produced great architecture.
Bullrich (1969);Kalman (1994);Hit (1955);Moholy-Nagy (1964);Placzek (ed.) (1993);Posani (1985);Jane Turner (1996);van Vynckt (ed.) (1993);Villanueva et al. (2000);