(b Dresden; d Aug 1560). German master builder. He was appointed master of fortifications by Maurice, Elector of Saxony (reg 1547–53) and originally produced mainly plans for defensive works. The plans for Schloss Moritzburg (1542–6) near Dresden, a rectangular corps de logis (30×15 m) surrounded by an outer wall with circular corner towers, can probably be ascribed to Vogt. In 1545–55 extensive fortifications in Dresden and Leipzig were built to his plans. His most important commission, however, was the remodelling and extension of the Dresdner Schloss. The conversion of the late medieval complex to an imposing Renaissance palace began under Elector Maurice in 1543, and many Italian artists were engaged to decorate it. It was the first time in central German architecture that the remodelling of a palace had started from an overall design while incorporating the medieval buildings. The scheme is usually attributed to Vogt, but all that can be proved is that he directed the building work; whether the design is also his has not been proven with certainty. Vogt's last important project was for an armoury in Dresden, which was completed in 1563.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.