A part of Austria‐Hungary from 1699, this territory half the size of the Netherlands became the home of twenty‐four national groups. In the Treaty of St Germain, most of its area became part of Serbia, though a small part came to be part of Romania. Occupied by German and Hungarian troops in World War II, it became part of Serbia again in 1945, though with autonomous status from 1946. Following demonstrations against Serbia, its autonomy was lifted in 1990, so that it became an integral part of Serbia again, ruled directly from Belgrade. While Serbians just formed the majority of the population (55 per cent), their proportion increased, to the protests of the other nationalities, during the Bosnian Civil War and the military conflict with Croatia (1992–5), when tens of thousands of Krajina Serbs, who had fled from Croatian rule, were settled there.
Subjects: Contemporary History (Post 1945).