(1828–1912), Theistic preacher. He was educated at St Edmund Hall, Oxford. After ordination in the C of E he held a number of curacies in London and elsewhere, at one of which (St Mary's, Victoria Docks) he preached a sermon denying the doctrine of eternal punishment. From 1864 to 1871 he was vicar of Healaugh, nr. Tadcaster. Here his heterodox opinions led to his citation before the Chancellor of York, and the sentence of deprivation which followed was upheld on his appeal to the Privy Council. Removing to London, Voysey began holding services in St George's Hall, Langham Place, and founded the ‘Theistic Church’, whose headquarters from 1885 were in Swallow Street, off Regent Street. On Voysey's death some of his followers formed a schism, the ‘Free Religious Movement’.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.