British archaeologist specializing in prehistoric Greece. He studied at Pembroke College, Cambridge, before becoming a Craven Student in 1903 and librarian at the British School in Rome two years later. After holding a fellowship at Pembroke College and a lectureship in ancient history and archaeology at St Andrews, in 1914 he was appointed Director of the British School in Athens, a post he held until 1923. In 1924 he became deputy keeper in the Department of Textiles in London's Victoria and Albert Museum before returning to Cambridge in 1934 to become Laurence Professor of Classical Archaeology. Retiring early from Cambridge in 1944, he was appointed Professor of Classics and Archaeology in the University of Alexandria, a post he occupied until 1952. During his archaeological career he directed excavations at a number of sites in Greece, notably Loconia and Mycenae. At the time of his death he was working on material he had excavated outside the acropolis walls at Mycenae.
From The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Archaeology in Oxford Reference.