Type of aisleless hall church in which the thrust of the vaulting is taken by tongues of wall—wall pillars—that jut out into the building. The wall pillars assume the same function as buttresses, except that the external wall of the wall-pillar church starts at the outside face of the buttresses, which are extended in the form of tongues, so that additional space is gained internally. This form developed in the late 13th century (e.g. the choir of St Mary, Marburg, consecrated 1297) and first appeared in a fully evolved form in the mid-15th. It allowed relatively large, wide areas to be built cheaply and quickly from bricks or rubble. The spaces between the wall pillars were generally used as chapels, with the altar placed at right angles to the longitudinal axis.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.