(1808–72). English architect. He was in Constantinople from 1832 to 1837 as superintendent of Sir John Rennie's work on military buildings there, before returning to England where he practised in Manchester from 1839. He designed a warehouse in that city at 15 Mosley Street in that year, and followed it with the Silas Schwabe Warehouse (1845— demolished), Brown & Son's Warehouse, 9 Portland Street (1851–2—demolished), and the Free Trade Hall (1855—Pevsner called it the ‘noblest monument in the Cinquecento style in England’ but only the façade survived when an hotel (completed 2004) was built on the site), all of which were in an Italian Renaissance Revival style. Perhaps his most accomplished building was the Manchester & Salford (later William Deacon's) Bank, Mosley Street (1860) a palazzo handled with confidence. He was one of the best provincial architects of the period.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.