Polish ballet company. It was founded in 1818 at Warsaw's National Theatre under the direction of L. Thierry and in 1833 moved into the newly built Great Theatre. Maurice Pion was director (1826–43), followed by F. Taglioni (1843–53), and Roman Turczynowicz (1853–66), and during this period it was an important centre of Romantic ballet. With the general decline of ballet in Europe artistic standards fell, although under the direction of Piotr Zajlich (1917–34) the company was rejuvenated with a repertory that included the 19th-century classics, various Ballets Russes works, and some nationally inspired ballets. The theatre was destroyed during the Second World War and the company worked in temporary quarters. In 1965 it moved back to the rebuilt theatre, presenting a largely 20th-century repertory. Economic conditions in Poland made its continuing survival difficult and under the current direction of Jolanta Rybarska, it has reverted to a largely traditional repertory of 19th-century classics.
http://www.teatrwielki.pl Website for the Warsaw Opera with link to the ballet company