Overview

diocese of Waterford


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Originally a Norse city and thus an object of Anglo‐Norman colonization of Ireland, it was a suffragan see of Canterbury from 1096. Waterford was first listed as a bishopric at the Council of Kells‐Mellifont (1152), though there was no regular succession of bishops until 1175. Waterford and Lismore is still a catholic bishopric in the province of Cashel, but the Anglican see was merged with the Cashel diocese in 1833.

Subjects: British History.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.