(fl 1568–96). German mason and master builder. In 1568, when he became a citizen of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Bavaria, he was paid for a plan to rebuild the Renaissance wing of the town hall, on which work began in 1570. Opinions vary concerning the extent to which Weidmann's scheme was followed, as he did not qualify as a master craftsman until 1575. The town hall, one of the finest in Franconia, reconciles the traditional high gabled façade with the heavily stressed horizontals of the long side elevation, exposed to the market square, by locating a three-storey oriel at the angle. Weidmann's work is seen in the Gothic wing, too, where he carved the bar in the courtroom.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.